An Announcement by Cassie Johnson, P.E., Green Seal’s Environmental Engineer II
Green Seal is planning revisions to our paints and coatings standards, GS-11 and GS-47, in the near future. We intend to expand the scope of these standards to add new product categories. We are also evaluating the potential of combining these two standards into one and considering updates to some of the criteria.
Our current review has been focused primarily on identifying product categories that could be added to the scope of these standards, mainly those that are similar in purpose or chemistry to those included in the current scope. The criteria in GS-11 effectively exclude clear, tinted, and transparent architectural coatings, and floor coatings other than latex paint. These products are not included in scope of GS-47, since it includes only products intended for use on wood or metal surfaces.
We are currently considering the following product categories for inclusion in the scope, for both interior and exterior use:
- Permanent floor coatings (e.g., coatings for tile, stone, terrazzo, and vinyl floors)
- Concrete sealers (non-breathable)
- Concrete guards (breathable)
- Clear wall coatings (e.g., anti-graffiti)
- Masonry sealers
- Coatings intended for fire resistance (e.g., intumescent paints)
As a preliminary step prior to our revision process, we are seeking your suggestions for any additional categories that could be added to the scope of Green Seal’s paints and coatings standards. Feedback can be provided either through Green Seal’s online forum or by e-mailing us.
Please provide your feedback by Thursday, August 7, 2014.
To Provide Feedback through the On-Line Forum
- Go to the project web page on the Collaborase Platform, or click the link on Green Seal’s project website.
To Provide Feedback by E-Mail
- Please send an e-mail to email@example.com, with the subject line “GS-11/47 Scope Expansion”
If you have any questions regarding this commenting process, please e-mail Cassie Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (202) 872-6400.
Thank you for your interest and assistance with this process!
Cassie Johnson, P.E.